2013 was quite the exciting year for all Rhode Island Rams sports. From basketball to football to baseball and everything in between, we have a full recap of all the big stories of the year. Here’s what went down:
- January 19th: The Rhode Island Rams scored their signature win of the 2012-13 season when they went to Saint Louis and topped the Billikens 82-80 in overtime.
- January 29th: Dan Hurley “tried to provoke” Fordham coach Tom Pecora, according to the blog A Daly Dose of Hoops. Just one problem though – it never happened.
- February 6th: National Signing Day saw URI football land a bunch of new players as the Rams tried to build an improved squad in 2013.
- February 13th: Rhody hoops picked up yet another last-second win over the Dayton Flyers, this time courtesy of Xavier Munford.
- February 27th: The Dan Hurley-to-Rutgers rumors started to fly, but we weren’t buying it.
- March 18th: Five Atlantic 10 teams landed in the NCAA Tournament, in what was one of the best seasons for A-10 hoops in recent memory.
- March 22nd: Merely making the dance was not enough, though. The A-10 started 6-0 as March Madness got underway.
- March 25th: Unfortunately, La Salle was the only team to advance to the Sweet 16.
- April 3rd: The Mike Rice / Rutgers scandal was making headlines, and Rhody’s Gilvydas Biruta was part of the controversy.
- April 3rd: With Rice fired, Rutgers was reportedly targeting Dan Hurley, which made the coming days a bit nerve-racking for URI fans.
- April 14th: Following reports that Hurley was not interested in the Rutgers job, the University of Rhode Island officially announced that the Rhody head coach had signed a two-year contract extension.
- May 14th: The Rams picked up an additional basketball recruit during the regular signing period when they inked 6’2″ guard Matthew Butler.
- May 24th: Rhody baseball entered the Atlantic 10 Tournament as the three seed, but they were bounced by George Washington in the second round.
- June 8th: URI outfielder Jeff Roy was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 18th round of the MLB Draft.
- June 12th: While he was not drafted, pitcher Sean Furney also joined the professional ranks when he signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- July 26th: Rhody football picked up an FBS transfer when they signed South Alabama QB Kolt Peavey.
- August 9th: Rhode Island basketball had a successful trip to Italy, winning all three of their scrimmages.
- August 25th: The Jared Terrell rumors started to heat up when the highly-touted hoops recruit scheduled his announcement for September 7th.
- September 7th: Unfortunately for URI, Terrell verbally committed to Oklahoma State.
- September 14th: Rhode Island football picked up their first win in their last 16 games when they ousted Albany 19-13 in overtime.
- October 21st: The Rhody Madness dunk contest kicked off the basketball season with a bang.
- October 31st: The Rams officially announced that Jordan Hare would be taking an indefinite leave of absence from the basketball team this season.
- November 12th: URI hoops picked up another recruit when they landed JuCo transfer Earl Watson.
- November 18th: Following a disappointing 3-9 season, Rhody football parted ways with head coach Joe Trainer.
- November 23rd: Former Rhode Island great Lamar Odom made an appearance at the Ryan Center to check out his former team face off against UMass Lowell.
- December 21st: After losing his starting job and seeing a reduction in playing time, Mike Powell will transfer from the URI basketball team.
- December 23rd: On the heels of a report that Jim Fleming would be named the next Rhody football head coach, the former UCF defensive coordinator was officially introduced at a press conference.
Looking back on it, 2013 certainly had it’s fair share of ups and downs. Here’s hoping that there’s much more in store for 2014 as all of URI’s “big three” sports are poised for improvement. GO RHODY!