The Rhode Island Rams have a lot of work to do before they play their first football game in August, and it all starts with National Signing Day tomorrow. Head coach Joe Trainer and the rest of the Rhody football staff look to add the pieces to… well, let’s start with winning a game. But in all seriousness, URI is looking to improve in a number of areas with the hopes of building a competitive team in the CAA in the coming years. So let’s get right to it – who is Rhody looking to get signed letters of intent from tomorrow?
The Verbal Commits
- QB Luke Casey: 6’4″, 180 – Atholton High School, Baltimore, MD
- QB Devin Ray: 6’1, 195 – Bernards High School, Bernardsville, NJ
- OT Ahmaad Randall: 6’4″, 285 – Highland High School, Blackwood, NJ
- LB Charlie McKeeman: 6’3″, 210 – Bishop Stang High School, North Dartmouth, MA
- S Kelly Dobbins: 6’1″, 173 – Putnam Vocational Tech. High School, Springfield, MA
- S Naiquan Thomas: 6’0″, 200 – Dwight Morrow High School, Englewood, NJ
The Offers and Long-Shots
- WR Brandon Spatz: 6’0″, 195 – Father Judge High School, Philadelphia, PA
- WR Shawn Wilkins: 6’3″, 181 – Blackstone Valley Regional Tech High School, Uxbridge, MA
- CB Daniel Cary: 5’10”, 180 – Friendly High School, Fort Washington, MD
- S Sam Jallah: 5’9″, 190 – Wekiva High School, Apopka, FL
Rhody looks to be adding in two areas: offensive skill positions and the defensive secondary. The first thing that jumps out is the two QBs. Bob Bentsen will be a senior this year so perhaps the Rams are looking to replace him the following season. Junior backup Danny Fenyak does not seem to be a viable option at this point. Although, with all that went wrong last year, would URI have an open competition for the starting spot going into this season? It will certainly be something to keep an eye on. As for the defense, the Rams really need all the help they can get. Stacking the secondary with a bunch of recruits will certainly give Trainer and the staff a lot of options for match-ups, maybe even on a game-by-game basis next season. Stick with us tomorrow for up-to-the-minute news and updates as the signings start to roll in. We’ll have much more throughout the day.